Becoming Catholic (RCIA)
Bishop Paul D. Sirba and Fr. Jeremy Bock are pictured with our fully-initiated Catholics and their sponsors after the Easter Vigil on March 31, 2018. We welcome and congratulate Michael DeCaprio, Douglas Greiner and Katharine Hartley. Bob and Sandi Arola, RCIA leaders and catechists, are also shown in the photo.
Please contact Fr. Peter Muhich or Fr. Jeremy Bock, 728-3646, or Bob and Sandi Arola, 525-2962, email@example.com for more information.
Who is RCIA for?
- Persons who are not baptized
- Persons baptized in other Christian traditions who desire to become Catholic
- Persons baptized Catholic who have not received the sacraments of Eucharist and/or Confirmation
What are the Stages and Rites of the RCIA Process?
- Period of Inquiry—inquirers begin to learn what the Catholic Church believes, teaches and proclaims to be revealed by God.
- Rite of Acceptance and Welcome
- Period of the Catechumenate—the catechumens and candidates reflect more deeply on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, His Church and the Catholic moral life.
- Rite of Election and Call to Continuing Conversion
- Period of Purification and Enlightenment—the catechumens and candidates grow in prayer and examination of their lives as they prepare to celebrate the Sacraments of Initiation.
- Rites of Scrutinies and Penitential Rite
- Rites of Initiation—sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist
- Period of Mystagogy—the newly initiated persons deepen their journey of faith as active disciples of the Lord in the Church.
Quotes from those who have gone through the RCIA process . . .
"Be open and curious—God will do the rest."
"Though deciding to start RCIA is a big step, the journey is well worth it!"
"I'm a little embarrassed that I had considered it for several years. Now that I have gone through RCIA, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. It left me with a deeper feeling and connection to both the Church and the Eucharist. Thank you."
"The RCIA classes offer incredible insight into the Church, its teachings, its history and its people. Completion of the RCIA classes and becoming a Catholic has served to rebuild my relationship with God and has created a solid foundation on which I will build my spiritual life."
"The RCIA journey is an amazing educational experience. It is a great way to begin or grow upon your relationship with the Church. I truly found comfort and joy throughout the experience that I will continue to carry with me as my relationship with God continues to grow."
"The Easter Vigil was an extraordinary occasion when I received full graces upon entering the Church with all my Catholic brothers and sisters praying for me."
"Everything I learned seemed to come together during the Easter Vigil. It was an experience I will never forget."
“Don’t be nervous—call. You will learn all about this beautiful religion and it will bring you closer to the Lord.”
“I truly felt the presence of the Holy Spirit as I was confirmed. I fully believe God touched my heart.”
“Pray as you work through your journey of faith. At times the path can seem long and difficult to keep on but prayer will help you to persevere.”
“You will be welcomed and become part of a new family.”